[Techtalk] Slpit a directory

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Thu Dec 28 09:15:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 12:33:58AM +0000 or thereabouts, Figaro wrote:
> Need help to split a /usr partition on to two partitions.
> Debian: SID scsi hdwe. I was thinking to move /usr/share to a larger
> partition on a different drive (3@ 18g avail)..
> So how best to do this? I do not want to lose this installation if it is
> not neccesary.. But really need more space.
> Ideas? I usually use sfdisk to format ant the the usual mke2fs -j ....,
> fsck and then edit fstab to make mountable. But how do I setup the
> simlinks etc.. so that the system knows where what is?
> Thank you,
> matthew

No need to set up symlinks, instead, mount the new filesystem on
/usr/share .  It goes something like this:

1.  Fit new disk
2.  Partition new disk
3.  Make filesystem on new disk
4.  Mount new filesystem on a temporary mount point (/mnt)
5.  Copy files over to new filesystem (cp -a or rsync)
6.  Unmount the new filesystem
7.  Rename /usr/share to /usr/share1
8.  Create directory /usr/share
9.  Mount new filesystem on /usr/share
10. Edit /etc/fstab to add the /usr/share mount line.
11. Delete /usr/share1 when you're happy that the system is fine.

That's it...

Conor
--
Conor Daly,
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

Ta an riomhphost seo, agus aon chomhad ata nasctha leis, faoi run agus is don te a seoladh chuige amhain e. Ma tharla go bhfuair tu an riomhphost seo tri dhearmad cuir in iul don te a sheol e led' thoil.

Ta an teachtaireacht riomhphoist seo scuabtha le bogearrai frithvireas.