[Techtalk] Mac or Linux for photo printing?

Gebhard Dettmar gebhard.dettmar at student.hu-berlin.de
Fri Dec 22 23:26:17 UTC 2006

On Sunday 17 December 2006 10:11, Eeva Järvinen wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 11:28:21PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> > I don't care about finicky color adjustments or RGB or CMYK or how
> > many pixels can dance on the head of a pin. When I want to print a
> > pic exactly a certain size, or give it a bit of a border, or do a
> > bunch of images on a page, I want to be able to set it up the way I
> > want without having to calculate freakin' pixels and height-width
> > ratios. For example, in some windoze app I forget now
>
> I handled this once by using imagemagick + cups (lpr) on the command
> line.  The scripts took a list of image files on the command line and
> did some scaling and printing.  I don't have the scripts any more (did
> them at work), but I recall it wasn't too difficult to make a couple
> of scripts to do the printing I wanted.  I figure I'll be doing

What Carla wants is just
convert -page A4+0+0 my_pic.jpg ps:- | lpr
more convenient than any Win/Mac-App
btw, from my other Mail: convert -resize 100x100 scales, so 1024x768 go to
100x75
If you don't want scaling use 100x100!
You can create panorama with montage:
montage *.jpg panorama.jpg
(with lots of parameters like -size, -resize, -shadow, -geometry
e.g
montage +frame +shadow +label -geometry 100% pic1 pic2 pic3 gives three
originally sized pics without frames a.s.o.
Put Watermarks on your pics:
convert -font Arial -pointsize 10 -fill grey -draw "text 800,600
'Copyright by me'" <inputfile> <outputfile>
create virtual directorys
montage *.jpg dir.vid
or convert 'vid:*.jpg' dir.vid
display dir.vid
right-click on a thumb and load
and so on
I cannot say anything about printing quality (I have no printer) but
concerning the other things you mentioned: forget these apps
you've seen on Windows or Mac - ImageMagick is_the_shit
HTH,
Gebhard
p.s. more info on:
http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/graphics/imagick6/
http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/graphics/imagick6/basics/
and manpages
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-processing.php

--
Q:	What do you call a blind pre-historic animal?