[Techtalk] fun with routing and wireless

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Aug 31 00:05:57 UTC 2006

o great wuns,

I am futzing with Pyramid Linux on a Soekris board to build a nice Internet
router and wireless access point. It's a temporary setup because next week
I'm blowing it away and using Bering instead, which is much nicer. (long
story, don't ask.) But for now I must make it work.

The wireless bit works perfectly; clients find the WAP and get DHCP, ping back
and forth, etc. But it ends there. I want the wireless clients to get the
same goodies as the wired LAN clients, Internet and LAN services.

Pyramid does not have bridge-utils, so as near as I can tell there is no way
to bridge the wireless NIC to the wired LAN NIC without rebuilding the whole
dern operaring system (insert much cussing.)  So what other options do I
have? I spose a couple iptables rules will do the job- what about routing?

This is the setup:

ath0    192.168.91.1   -- wireless interface
eth0    192.168.1.1  --- wired LAN interface
lan       192.168.1.0

thanks!