[Techtalk] iPod and ID3 info

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Aug 6 02:02:21 UTC 2006

binaryjane at gmail.com writes:
> I am running ubuntu, and using gktpod to sync with my iPod, as well as
> id3v2 to edit metadata.
>
> So far I have been unable to get my iPod to classify my podcasts as
> podcasts. The podcast directory simply comes up empty, and all my
> podcasts show up as songs.

I don't have an iPod, but have you tried comparing all the id3 tags
from a podcast that works (shows up as a podcast) versus the ones
in your podcasts? It's something to try, anyway ... maybe it's as
simple as that, though I suppose you've already tried that.

Though the available id3 genres are extremely limited when it comes
to podcasts -- "Speech" (0x65) is about the only genre id3tool knows
about that a poscast could reasonably use (and my mp3 player, a
Sansa, doesn't recognize it so I fell back on "Other", 0x0C, for
converting podcasts I download).

--
	...Akkana
    Check out my book, "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional".