[Techtalk] customized installation

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Apr 20 07:15:48 EST 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 1:39 pm, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:
> Re: [Techtalk] customized installation
>  From: "Elizabeth Krumbach" <lyz at princessleia.com>
>  To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
>
> On Wed, April 19, 2006 12:52 am, Julie Bovee Hill said:
> > Gentoo comes to mind. From the Gentoo main page at www.gentoo.org:
> > "We produce Gentoo Linux, a special flavor of Linux that can be
> > automatically optimized and customized for just about any application
> > or need. Extreme performance, configurability and a top-notch user and
> > developer community are all hallmarks of the Gentoo experience."
>
> I probably wouldn't recommend Gentoo simply for the fact that Carla
> suggested that older hardware might be used. Since Gentoo compiles
> everything from source and that can take a very long time if your system
> isn't pretty modern.
>
> Carla, I'd go with Debian for this, the most basic install is *very* basic.

Can you give me a pointer how to do it? I've been cruising the debian docs,
but all I find is FAI and that sure won't work for this. I'd rather use
debian if possible.

I'm still leaning towards Fedora/Kickstart, because users can simply copy my
kewl kustom Kickstart file to configure their package selection. It's quick n
easy, all I'll have to teach is how to point the installer to Kickstart.
(modify the installation CD, usb key, floppy, ftp, etc.) I would really like
to start from a known, easily-duplicated installation. (sadly, it is not an
option to create a downloadable image.)