[Techtalk] Distributed Denial of Service - Defenses?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Apr 19 09:44:03 EST 2006

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 15:12, RobertWichert wrote:
> Does anybody know of a reliable defense against Distributed Denial of
> Service Attacks?  The place that I host my servers is routinely hit by
> DDoS attacks that take my servers out of service for hours at a time.
> The fellow that I know there says that there is "nothing that I can do
> about it".  That can't be true, can it?
>
> I have heard that Cisco routers have some sort of built-in defense, but
> this server set is running Linux and is Pentium based.  Is it true that
> Cisco servers have this solved?  Is there some sort of Linux firewall
> that will work?  Is there some sort of traffic-limiting software that
> will allow known clients to get priority?  I'm just guessing really.
> I'm looking for something that we can buy or configure, compatible with
> Linux.

I wave my powerful wand and instantly all Windows PCs vanish! The Internet is
saved!

Drat, once again it didn't work. Maybe my wand needs new batteries.

I would investigate changing hosts, for starters. There are things that can be
done, but it involves savvy admins doing actual work, and working with their
upstream providers. Because no matter how ably you firewall your own boxes,
that does nothing to stem the flood that is clogging your bandwidth; it has
to be headed off "upstream". If they're just going to wave their hands
helplessly and not do their jobs, they don't need you as a customer.

This article might give you some insights:

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1647