[Techtalk] customized installation

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Apr 19 08:46:27 EST 2006

Anyone have thoughts on which Linux lends itself the best to xTreme
customization? I'm starting a howto series on building a Linux appliance.
This is targeted at home/small business users, so the hardware can be any old
PC, and it will do routing, firewalling, HTTP and DNS caching, and maybe cool
stuff like a WAP, DHCP server, or what-have-you.

All that stuff is pretty straightforward. I thought to add an extra touch of
coolness, and to also make my life a little easier, I would start with an
extremely customized Linux installation. Just the essentials with no fluff.
Sooo...I hereby solicit opinions. Do you think using Fedora or Debian would
work? I haven't tried slimming either of these down to the bones in ages, I'm
not sure how far you can go. If I use one of these, I still want to have Yum
or apt.

I was thinking it would be simple to cobble up a Kickstart file and use that.
The idea of writing out a long list of packages and saying "do a custom
install and select these" seems like the hard way cubed, and Kickstart would
take care of that

But then I do like Debian, but as far as I know there is nothing like
Kickstart for Debian. Remember, this has to work for a single user on a
single machine- they're not going to have their own mirror or anything like
that.

Then there are specialized tiny Linuxes like Puppy. But this series is also
intended as general Linux introduction, so whatever the reader learns can be
easily transferable.

soooo.... ?