[Techtalk] Distributed Denial of Service - Defenses?

RobertWichert robert at wichert.org
Wed Apr 19 08:12:04 EST 2006

Does anybody know of a reliable defense against Distributed Denial of
Service Attacks?  The place that I host my servers is routinely hit by
DDoS attacks that take my servers out of service for hours at a time.
The fellow that I know there says that there is "nothing that I can do
about it".  That can't be true, can it?

I have heard that Cisco routers have some sort of built-in defense, but
this server set is running Linux and is Pentium based.  Is it true that
Cisco servers have this solved?  Is there some sort of Linux firewall
that will work?  Is there some sort of traffic-limiting software that
will allow known clients to get priority?  I'm just guessing really.
I'm looking for something that we can buy or configure, compatible with
Linux.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Wichert