[Techtalk] sighup, kill -9, sigkill, and all those related things

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 14 05:55:21 EST 2006

Quoting Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com>:
> Is there a reference written in actual English that explains the kill command?
> 'man kill' is rather too terse to be useful to a noob.  I want to know what
> all the options mean, and when to use them. All these years of seeing
> mysterious references like "send a SIGHUP", well, it's time to learn what the
> silly things mean.

Hope this means you are writing the definitive article on kill signals
so we can shortly refer folks to it. In the mean time, Unix Power
Tools p 702-4 has a not too bad one on some of the ones you see
commonly. But it still left me wondering about the difference between
kill's 1-3.

--
Cynthia N. Kiser
cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu