[Techtalk] FreeBSD on ancient Pentium BIOS upgrade question

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Fri Apr 7 04:56:57 EST 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 2:01 PM, Amanda Babcock Furrow wrote:

> My next question - if I need a whole new BIOS, how can I safely
> upgrade
> it?  Is there any way to safely fall back to the old BIOS?  Right
> now it's
> a working machine, and I'm loathe to risk losing that.

You need to get the BIOS update from your motherboard manufacturer
(if they're still around).  I doubt that you will find a BIOS that
will support that size drive though.  You might get to 8.4 or 32 GB.

The motherboard manufacturer will usually provide a bootdisk that
will flash the BIOS.  Sometimes, they provide a way to back out of
the update, most of the time they don't.  Personally, I've never had
a problem with updating BIOSes, but there's always a first time.  You
will most likely have to find a windows (or even DOS) machine to
create the BIOS bootdisk.

http://www.pcmech.com/show/bios/81/  has a decent howto explaining
the possible pitfalls (and other options).

Elwing