[Techtalk] SUSE & USB (mouse) woes...

Ursel Brueckner u.brueckner at planet-interkom.de
Wed Sep 28 10:17:27 EST 2005

Hello Michelle,

> main problem:  USB mouse...runs way to slow.  PS2 mouse works fine.
> I believe it is more a case of modules/parameters than Xconfig (as it
> does work, just tracks slow)  Touchpad is fine, USB mouse will start
> normally upon startup, but then is back to lagging behind.
>
> I'm a bit confused as to which modules/parameters SHOULD be
> installed, as I'm seeing conflictig old/new info when I do web
> searches...
>
> If anyone has SUS9.3 w/USB mouse running, can you let me know if you
> had any issues, an/or what modules/settings you are using for
> comparison...

I have a Thinkpad T42p w/ SUSE9.3 and w/USB mouse and Touchpad running.
As Desktopmanager I use KDE.
It worked just fine after the first install.

The parts of my configuration file related to this: /etc/X11/xorg.conf :

------------------------->
[...]
Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "synaptics"
  Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
  Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
  Option       "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
  Option       "InputFashion" "Mouse"
  Option       "Name" "Synaptics;Touchpad"
  Option       "Protocol" "explorerps/2"
  Option       "SHMConfig" "on"
  Option       "Vendor" "Sysp"
  Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "mouse"
  Identifier   "Mouse[3]"
  Option       "Buttons" "5"
  Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
  Option       "Name" "Logitech Optical USB Mouse"
  Option       "Protocol" "explorerps/2"
  Option       "Vendor" "Sysp"
  Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

[...]

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier   "Layout[all]"
  InputDevice  "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
  InputDevice  "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
  InputDevice  "Mouse[3]" "SendCoreEvents"
  Option       "Clone" "off"
  Option       "Xinerama" "off"
  Screen       "Screen[0]"
EndSection
<---------------------------------

The modules should be loaded correctly

tail -f /var/log/messages shows me that the mouse is detected as follows:

Sep 27 17:01:25 linux kernel: usb 2-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd
and address 5
Sep 27 17:01:25 linux kernel: input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech Optical USB
Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2

If you want to see my lsmod output to compare with your list of modules, let
me know. I can send it to you, but usually all the modules necessary for USB
should have been loaded without the need to load them manually.

Kind regards,
Ursula