[Techtalk] Diagnosing server problems

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Sep 27 10:21:47 EST 2005

I would be very interested in people's take on how to track this
down. I have some similar issues on a lightly loaded box - and the
monitoring I am doing on it is inadequate to finding the
problem. Despite that negative recommendation, Rachel, if you have
another box you can use for collecting and graphing the stats, I would
suggest installing Orcaware (http://www.orcaware.com/orca/) on the
problem box and running the appropriate data gatherer (procallator if
this is a Linux box), then rsyncing or scping the generated files off
to another machine for analysis.

>From what I have read, just because you don't have a lot of memory
listed as explicityly "free" doesn't neccessarily mean you are short
on memory. If there is plenty of memory, then OS should use it as disk
cache to avoid IO time. But I am not sure exactly what stat one should
monitor to distinguish appropriate cache use vs. a real lack of memory.

http://www.orcaware.com/orca/stats/procallator/procallator_gauge_mem_used_pct,procallator_gauge_mem_free_pct,procallator_gauge_mem_shrd_pct,procallator_gauge_mem_buff_pct,procallator_gauge_mem_cchd_pct-daily.html