[Techtalk] Apt on RedHat

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Tue Sep 20 09:27:24 EST 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 04:40:49PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Telsa Gwynne thought:

> I have heard that the apt for rpm program uses the --force option
> to rpm. I don't know whether this is true. If it is, this is bad.
> As far as I know, yum doesn't.

Now, I heard this was the other way around.  I'm told yum uses --force
where apt doesn't.  apt for rpm works much like debian's apt but doesn't
have the 'search' function.  yum, OTOH, does have search but seems to be
much slower than apt...  yum is the default for fedora but I tend to
'yum install apt' and then continue with apt.

Dag Weeier's apt repository is apparently pretty good and getting apt from
there seems to be a good move to start with.  You can get it from
http://dag.wieers.com

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)