[Techtalk] SUSE kernel modules

Val Henson val.henson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 04:03:33 EST 2005

On 9/14/05, Michelle Sims <ml_sims at linuxmail.org> wrote:
> My linux is very rusty (I live mostly in AIX land....)
>
> I have installing SUSE on my laptop (woo hoo, its working), but am also going to install VMware on top (so I can get to my required Notes calendar etc) ....vmware instructions ask about several kernel modules/options, and my mind is going blank on where to check if they are installed.

Hi Michelle,

For kernel options, you can do the following on SUSE:

# gunzip -c /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_WHATEVER

For kernel modules, I'm certain there is something more elegant, but I
would just do:

# modprobe <kernel module name>

If it succeeds, the kernel module is there.  If you want to see what
modules are loaded:

# lsmod

The actual files containing kernel modules are located in /lib/<kernel
version>/kernel/*.

Kudos to you.  I eventually gave up trying to get Notes, etc. working
in some sort of emulation environment on Linux and use Windows as a
desktop a good deal of the time. (N.B.: IBM has a ton of Windows-only
software required for doing your job.) I justify this by saying that a
programmer should use lots of different environments so they know
what's out there - and it's true, my ideas on what computers can do
have been broadened quite a bit by the different environments I've
used.  Linux - supremely hackable, a program for everything, Solaris -
never, ever, ever crashes ever, MacOS - GREAT UI, super easy to use,
but still supremely hackable, Windows - ... hm, the little button in
the task bar flashes when a program wants your attention... I'm having
difficulty thinking of anything else positive.  I should ask around at
IBM to find out if Notes is being ported to Linux.

-VAL