Linux support for Mac hardware (Re: [Techtalk] Linux Laptops)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu Oct 27 17:15:45 EST 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 05:01:13PM +1000, Mary wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> > And would it be harder to maintain having two different kinds of
> > hardware? (Since my desktop is x86 anyway)
> > Mind you, if one is using GenToo (as I am at the moment) maybe it
> > wouldn't be so hard, since the source would be the same for both.
>
> Except for programs where some or all of the source is in assembly
> code...

Does that happen much nowadays, though?  If it did, then I assume that
that software simply wouldn't be available on other archetectures.

> I don't know of huge difficulties specific to having machines with
> different architectures. You can't copy compiled executables from one
> machine to the other, but I don't do that often anyway.

And using GenToo, I would have even less incentive to do so.
Wheras a binary distro then I'd be double-downloading stuff, one for
the x86 machine, and one for the PPC.  While I do have ADSL, it does
seem a rather wasted effort.

Kathryn Andersen