[Techtalk] distro for production server

Raquel Rice raquel at thericehouse.net
Sat Oct 15 03:12:22 EST 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:46:08 -0700
Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com> wrote:

> Hi Experts,
>
> I know we've had the which-distro discussion many times, but
> they've  mostly been aimed at best for newbies, or best for
> desktop use.  Which  distro would you recommend for a headless
> production server running  webapps written in Java?
>
> Rachel

I'm certainly no expert, but I do run servers.  I use, and
appreciate, Debian.  It just works and doesn't break, even when
upgrading to a new version or upgrading the kernel.  In fact, it's
kind of boring because there aren't emergencies where I have to do
an all-nighter trying to fix something.

I use Debian stable, which is currently Sarge.  Some people don't
like Debian stable because it's not the latest, greatest, hottest,
but what do I want with all that on a server?  What I care about is
that it works.

--
Raquel