[Techtalk] distro for production server

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Oct 14 17:41:57 EST 2005

On Thursday 13 October 2005 9:46 pm, Rachel McConnell wrote:
> Hi Experts,
>
> I know we've had the which-distro discussion many times, but they've
> mostly been aimed at best for newbies, or best for desktop use.  Which
> distro would you recommend for a headless production server running
> webapps written in Java?

My votes go to Debian or Slackware. Both are extremely customizable, and are
pretty vanilla, unlike Red Hat or SUSE or Mandrake which are modified almost
beyond recognition. Both have great package management; they Just Work.
Debian's packaging quality control is very high, and so is Slackware's.

I am pleased that dependency resolvers like Yum and apt-rpm have come to the
rpm world; now instead of RPM hell we have RPM repository hell. OK it's not
quite that bad, but you still have the problem of every noob programmer
throwing poo RPMs into the wild. You must choose your repositories carefully.

Carla Schroder
http://www.tuxcomputing.com
check out my new book, the "Linux Cookbook", the ultimate Linux user's
and sysadmin's guide! http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/
this message brought to you
by Libranet 3 and Kmail