[Techtalk] Recommendations for digital cameras

agoats agoats at compuserve.com
Wed Oct 12 21:16:55 EST 2005

> If you own a digital camera and you use it with Linux, I'm interested in
> knowing what brand/model it is and how easy it is to plug into your
> system. I'm also interested in what you think about the camera in
> general.

Kodak CX6200, SD card is in FAT format and readable on card readers.
Takes good pictures, does NOT have macro capabilities. It's a home
snapshot type. 128M SD card good for about 165-190 pix. Will make a 30
second MOV type silent movie.

gphoto2 can autodetect most USB cameras and takes the pix and flix off
the camera fine:

gphoto2 -P

Make sure you are in the directory you want the pix in as it will put
them in the current directory you are in.

> Is it true that many cameras today use USB memory sticks, and thus are
> compatible with Linux?

They seem to use the SD card more, followed by a multitude of different
memory sticks. Not all are readable and not all are  mountable through
card readers. The jpegs are in a different format XIF, which you will
need to get the library for in order to view the pix.

Alvin