[Techtalk] Recommendations for digital cameras

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 12 19:39:45 EST 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 09:48:13AM +0100, Dan wrote:
> If you own a digital camera and you use it with Linux, I'm interested in
> knowing what brand/model it is and how easy it is to plug into your
> system. I'm also interested in what you think about the camera in
> general.

I use an Olympus 300 mu, and it works fine.  You plug it in to the USB
port on your system, and to the system it looks like a USB mass-storage
device, but it doesn't actually have a USB memory stick.

Just add a line like this to your fstab:
/dev/sda1               /mnt/camera     auto            user,noauto 0 0

and then when you connect up the camera, you can go

mount /mnt/camera

and it will just look like a filesystem.

The Olympus 300 mu stores the images as JPEG files.

One thing to keep in mind with digital cameras is that when the spec
starts talking about "digital zoom", that's just software in the camera
which does a resize of the image file -- in other words, a complete
waste of space, since one can do much better image manipulation after
you've downloaded the image onto your computer; just use GIMP.

What do I think of the camera?  It's fine for what I use it for.  I
bought it originally just for holiday snaps, and it's nice for that.
The lens cover is built in to the camera, and when the cover is over the
lens, the camera is off -- so one will neither lose it, nor take photos
with the lens cover on.  It's also apparently water-resistant, though I
haven't had any occasion to test that.  It has the usual limitations of
auto-focus cameras, but I'm not enough of a camera geek to not want
auto-focus.

Of late, I've started using the "macro" feature to take close-up photos
of flowers, which has been really fun, an unexpected bonus, since that
wasn't what I bought the camera for.

Kathryn Andersen