[Techtalk] run disk druid in post-installation FC4

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Fri Nov 25 22:57:32 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 05:14:19AM +-0000 or thereabouts, Noir wrote:
> I have just added a new hard-disk in my FC4 system.
> Does anyone know how
> can I run disk-druid to partition this disk? I can't
> seem to find the druid
> binary nor any related manpage. Do I need to boot it
> off the CD?

disk-druid may not be the right tool for this job since it wants to know all
about filesystem type and mount point.  I don't think it will actually do
the partitioning or formatting, instead it looks to me as if it generates
the relevant information for anaconda to use with the ordinary tools.
Certainly no disk changes occur while you're using disk druid at install
time.  Instead, the changes occur only after you click the final 'install'
button.

Have you considered using fdisk or cfdisk?  The Linux Partition Howto at:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/index.html goes into more detail than
you need but will certainly help.  It's a little out of date, doesn't
mention ext3 partitions at all but good nonetheless.  You'll need to use the
'-j' switch with mke2fs to create ext3 filesystems:

mke2fs -j /dev/hdb1

or some such.

You'll also need to edit your /etc/fstab to add the new partitions to your
mount list.

Conor
--
Conor Daly,                   Please avoid sending me
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,  Word or PowerPoint attachments.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

T+AOE an r+AO0-omhphost seo, agus aon chomhad at+AOE nasctha leis, faoi r+APo-n agus is don t+AOk a seoladh chuige amh+AOE-in +AOk. M+AOE tharla go bhfuair t+APo an r+AO0-omhphost seo tr+AO0 dhearmad cuir in i+APo-l don t+AOk a sheol +AOk led+IBk thoil.

T+AOE an teachtaireacht r+AO0-omhphoist seo scuabtha le bogearra+AO0 frithv+AO0-reas.