[Techtalk] splitting files in dir to make ISO

Dan dan at cellectivity.com
Wed Nov 23 21:53:31 EST 2005

If you mean that you need to split individual files, there are plenty of
untilities to do that. The simplest is "split", which was co-authored by
Richard Stallman and is extremely straightforward. (The manual entry is
right where you'd expect: "man split".) It also has the advantage that
you don't need a program to reassemble the pieces: you just "cat piece1
piece2 > result".

The usage in your case would be: split --bytes=700m file

By the way, last time I needed a file splitter, I discovered that
open-source file splitters have a tendency to grow up quickly and die
just as quickly. I searched for hours before finding one that was still
in existance.

--
  Like my contemporaries, I'd for years bought into this attitude
  that ... history was when all the mistakes were made, all the