Linux support for Mac hardware (Re: [Techtalk] Linux Laptops)

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 1 10:59:19 EST 2005

Quoting Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org>:
> Put whichever is appropriate in the appropriate config file for your
> shell.  I think the terminal program native to os x is better than the
> xterm in X11, so now I only use the terminal program.

Maria, I also prefer the Mac terminal app - mostly because I have a
couple of critical key remappings (alt rather than escape, backspace
actually backing up, and the apple key in the middle NOT under my left
thumb where alt belongs) already in place. Thanks for showing me how
to get X forwarding working with Terminal.app rather than using the
X11 xterm. I don't often use X (mostly when I need to launch the
Oracle Universal Installer or need to look at a web page accessible
only to localhost) so have not been too unhappy; but this will be much
easier.

Just in case anyone else was unclear, the lines that Maria sent the
list goes in your Mac's .whatever-rc, not in the shell for the machine
you are ssh-ing into. (Never really understanding where to do the
DISPLAY and xhost allow stuff is the main reason I converted to ssh
the instant someone told me about it. Let ssh do all the hard work.)

--
Cynthia N. Kiser