[Techtalk] Fixing up live.linuxchix.org

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu May 26 12:42:45 EST 2005

Hi folks,

A reader of http://live.linuxchix.org/ pointed out to me that the site
is unreadable for her. It looks like this to her:
http://users.puzzling.org/users/mary/tmp/live.linuxchix.org/bad-screenshot.jpg

She also reports that this happens on a bunch of browsers, including
Konquerer and Firefox for Windows.

The bad news is, I can't replicate it on browsers I'm running (Firefox
on FC3 and Ubuntu 5.04, Epiphany -- which is the Firefix renderer anyway
-- on Ubuntu 5.04). I've taken a bunch of screne shots from my own browser at a bunch of
resolutions and I don't get the missing text effect:

 1. http://users.puzzling.org/users/mary/tmp/live.linuxchix.org/640x480.jpg
 2. http://users.puzzling.org/users/mary/tmp/live.linuxchix.org/800x600.jpg
 3. http://users.puzzling.org/users/mary/tmp/live.linuxchix.org/1024x768.jpg

Anyone got any tips on what's causing this? Since I can't replicate it,
I'd also appreciate help testing the changes (ie, if you say "try blah"
all I can do is try it and reply "um, tell me if it worked", which might
take a while).

Also, side-note, I know that page is claiming to be valid XHTML and it
isn't. (It's also not going to be, since I'm importing other people's
HTML -- so no "but you have to make it validate" nags unless you're
willing to fix the Planet software yourself. Ta.) I will remove that
claim in about an hour's time.

-Mary