[Techtalk] LANs for Newbies

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Mon Mar 28 17:43:29 EST 2005

On Sunday 27 March 2005 23:47, Raena Lea-Shannon wrote:
> I am building a LAN from scratch to serve heterogenous file systems,

Including Mac ?

> printer, & internet, using Samba and using a spare Cisco catalyst 1900
> series switch. I have found lots of useful information from many different
> sources but really need a text or web resource that is a hands on kind of
> join the dots particularly on the network hardware config stuff.
>
> If anyone has any great links or tips that would be hugely appreciated.

Part of the issue is what linux distro are you keen to use for
the (I presume) main linux server at the heart of your LAN ?

Another aspect is how functional your gateway/router (adsl?)
machine might be, ie; if it's a "dumb" adsl modem then all
LAN tweaks will need to be done on the linux box, if it's a
"smart" gateway, with firewalling features, then you can put
more of what linux would normally do into the adsl router.

This is a quick guide to some (Gentoo) issues you will face...

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=3

This is a comprehensive Debian oriented guide...

http://www.aboutdebian.com/lan.htm

--markc