[Techtalk] Linux, Samba, and Windows XP

Hugo Chasqueira hchasqueira at netcabo.pt
Sat Mar 19 09:24:23 EST 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 22:05, Lucky Lady wrote:
> I have Samba configured on my Linux box. When I try to
> access my Linux box through Microsoft Windows Network
> on my Win XP box, I don't see it listed. I can type
> the (static) IP address in the Microsoft Windows
> Network address bar and access it without problems.
> What do I need to do, to have an icon showing on my
> windows box?

Hi,

I think the workgroup has to be the same in both machines.

You can check the workgroup of the windows box somewhere in 'My Computer'
properties. I can't remember the precise location.

In the linux box, edit /etc/samba/smb.conf, you must change the line that says
'workgroup = something' to 'workgroup = workgroup_of_the_windows_box'. Make
sure that the line that says 'netbios name =' has a valid name for your linux
box.

Restart samba with the command:

/etc/init.d/samba restart

Then try to find the computer again in windows.

--

Hugo Chasqueira

Public Key:
http://www.fcee.ucp.pt/docentes/url/hbc/pubkey.txt