[Techtalk] Apache: different handlers in a directory

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Mar 11 15:21:32 EST 2005

Hi folks,

I have a directory, /var/www/cgi-bin, which contains 26 scripts. Here's
the situation:

 - those scripts should each be accessible via
   http://localhost/cgi-bin/scriptName (this is hardcoded into a number
   of other testing scripts)

 - 25 of those scripts should have "SetHandler fastcgi-script"

 - 1 of those scripts should have "SetHandler cgi-script"

I'd prefer not to have to set up the handlers individually, since it's
the same value for 25 different files.

When all the files have the same handler, this works:

    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin"

    <Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
        SetHandler fastcgi-script
    </Directory>

However, this doesn't:

    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin"

    <Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
        SetHandler fastcgi-script
        Options +ExecCGI
    </Directory>

    <Files "/var/www/cgi-bin/exceptionScript">
        SetHandler cgi-script
        Options +ExecCGI
    </Files>

What happens according to the error logs is this:

[Fri Mar 11 15:17:50 2005] [warn] FastCGI: (dynamic) server "/var/www/cgi-bin/exceptionScript" (pid 11063) terminated by calling exit with status '0'

Does anyone have the Apache 2 config magic to set this up? I'd prefer
not to have to individually alias and set up all 25 files when they all
have exactly the same settings!

-Mary