[Techtalk] PHP, session variables & cookies

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Mar 7 22:43:26 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005, Dan wrote:
> Besides, if the user has to login to the site, then he has a unique
> identification that allows you to "track" him anyway, so there's hardly
> a point in talking about cookies.

There's a legal requirement in some countries to talk about personal
information that you're storing. In particular, Sue is in Australia, and
Australia's Privacy Act has certain requirements. So... that's the
point. In addition, some customers like to see very detailed privacy
statements that acknowledge even obvious things like this. (That said, I
don't know the specific provisions of the Act at all and I don't know
whether session cookies or non-identifying information stored for the
duration of a session is subject to the Act.)

-Mary