[Techtalk] PHP, session variables & cookies

Chris Hardy lists at semioticpixels.com
Mon Mar 7 06:27:35 EST 2005

sessions are passed along either in a cookie (if enabled by client) or
appended to the url (if cookies are not allowed by client). What's nice
about sessions in php is the built-in functionality that checks first
whether cookies are allowed before appending a session id to the url.

Regarding a privacy statement, it's probably sufficient to be more generic
by explaining that cookies and sessions are used to provide consistencey
between pages (ie so a person doesn't have to sign in again everytime they
navigate to a new page) but no information is collected about visitors
through those cookies and sessions. It's also a good idea to state when
cookies are set to expire and to name the cookies descriptively.

hth
-chris