[Techtalk] Recommend a pswd manager?

adam oz_prophet at internode.on.net
Mon Mar 7 02:41:48 EST 2005

> Can anyone recommend a good Linux general-purpose password
> manager? I'm overwhelmed trying to keep track of all of my
> logins to various machines, web sites, and such. I find
> that I do all kinds of unsafe things with this info that I
> would ridicule other people for doing. I'm not following
> my own advice :-( I need a more secure, easily accessible
> method.
>
> A co-worker of mine swears by PasswordSafe
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/passwordsafe/) but it's
> Windows-only and I'm trying to permanently "break up" with
> Windows, so that won't do, though the project home page
> does list some unix clones of unknown reputability. I run
> Gentoo, so I looked into what pkgs. were available there
> and found a few more, FPM and KEDPM both on Sourceforge,
> but they haven't had any activity in a long time, so I'm
> uncertain about them.
>
> I'm desperate enough, I've even considered creating my own
> little encrypted database and putting a Web SSL front-end
> on it (should be quick & easy to do), but then there's
> that pesky browser caching problem to think about......
> and I'm sure I could dream up other annoying security
> holes if I actually sat down and thought about it (though
> it would probably still be lots safer than what I do right
> now). If it were truly easy to do, someone else would
> probably already have done it.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations? I'm tired of being so
> diligent about security when I'm at work and then coming
> home and being so pitiful.
>
> Thanks,
> Julie

If you're using a recent KDE, then you'll find you already
have KWallet installed. being part of the default install,
other programs that are part of KDE can use it without any
fuss. It can do all passwords in konqueror (the KDE web
browser), as well as other programs that requitre passwords,
such as kopete, the KDE instant messenger... if you have
passwords not used by a KDE program, you may have to
retreive them manually though.
KWallet needs only one password to open, and you can chose
how long it stays open (till screensaver? till all programs
using it have closed?)

HTH

Adam