Slow linuxchix.org mail? (Re: [Techtalk] mailserver problems on mandrake10)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sat Mar 5 18:11:02 EST 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> hi listadmin,
> this mail took nearly 24 hours to reach my inbox. I noticed some other
> ppl aare facing the same problem - i think something is broken

LinuxChix is testing a greylisting policy (rejecting mails with a
temporary error the first time that there's an attempt to send linuxchix
mail from a particular address and then accepting them later -- it's an
anti-spam measure). If a mail server has a relatively slow retry time
then there might well be a considerable delivery delay. You'll observe
that all the delay was between the sending server and the linuxchix.org
host:

        by sharp.noc24x7.com with esmtp (Exim 4.44) id 1D74Sl-0001cW-PD
        for techtalk at linuxchix.org; Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:00:56 +0530

Also, occasionally these kinds of delays happen: if linuxchix.org was
momentarily unreachable at the time that sharp.noc24x7.com first tried
to send the mail through, for example.

-Mary