[Techtalk] mailserver problems on mandrake10

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Fri Mar 4 15:32:22 EST 2005

hi,
am running a mailserver on mandrake10 and am getting the following
problems which may or may not be related. The problems occur after
the server has been running for a few days.

1. The server serves me (on the server), clients on the lan and dialin
clients. I run fetchmail every two minutes to fetch mails. The first
problem is that suddenly postfix refuses to relay mails. The error
is:

postfix/postqueue[2165]: fatal: Cannot flush mail queue - mail system
is down

if i run 'service postfix start', i get a message saying postfix is
already running. Restart works with two OKs. After restart everything
is fine for a few days.

The second problem is for dialin clients. They dialin, ppp starts up
and then nothing happens. At their end the message 'fetching mails'
or 'sending mails' is displayed, but no mails are fetched or sent. On
the server /var/log/mail/info doesnt show any attempt to login to the
POP3 server nor to postfix to send or receive
mails. /var/log/mail/error also shows nothing. When this is
happening, the lan clients do not have any problem. The problem is
solved on rebooting the server, but it is very annoying to have to
resort to a windoze style solution!

Any clues as to where to look to solve this?
--
regards
kg

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lawgon