[Techtalk] get rid of "^M" in a file

Gebhard Dettmar gebhard.dettmar at student.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 17 08:21:00 EST 2005

On Thursday 16 June 2005 02:03, Noir wrote:
> I have a file (.vimrc) which was in Windoze and now at
> the end of each line of the file I have a "^M" which
> is (obviously) generating lots of errors while
> executing vim.
Did I get this right, you see those ^Ms in vim? Is there some setting in
your .vimrc to show dos carriage returns in vim?
I just see it with less -u but not in vim on my machine. When I edit a
html-file on the webserver of my University in vi, I do see them. So in
vim on my machine I cannot replace them.
BTW, I can't think of problems caused by carriage returns in vim, but I
last year I had a problem executing a configure-script for my Winmodem
drivers, posted it to techtalk and IIRC Devdas and Almut got the solution:
^M made of the shebang #!/bin/sh\r, which gave me the error-message 'Bad
Interpreter: no such file or directory'. I had downloaded the tarball on
Windows with either IE or WS_FTP (can't remember)
> I want to get rid of all the "^M". I can hand-hack it
> but that sound inefficient. I wanted to use "flip -u"
> but the OS I am currently in doesn't have that.
You can avoid this on Windows in the future by using e.g. TextPad
(www.textpad.com - it's shareware but such a great editor: Perl-like
Regexes + Posix, editing multiple files etc. I really miss this in Linux)
and choose 'Unix' as filesystem when saving your files
> Is there anything else I can use to get rid of that?
>
> TIA.
> .noir
regards gebhard