[Techtalk] Personal firewalls: helpful?

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Tue Jun 7 18:19:13 EST 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:25:09AM +0100 or thereabouts, Dan wrote:
> I've heard of Windows users running personal firewalls (i.e.,
> implemented in software). I don't have to worry about that because I
> don't run Windows, but I do wonder whether these personal firewalls do
> any good. Obviously they're not as good as a dedicated machine, but I
> assume they still provide some protection.

The one thing about MS Windows firewalls is that, more than likely, a home
user is running with full privileges (even on XP) and so, a virus will be
able (if it knows how) to switch off the personal firewall for its own
purposes.

Conor
--
Conor Daly,                   Please avoid sending me
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,  Word or PowerPoint attachments.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the
presence of computer viruses.