[Techtalk] Personal firewalls: helpful?

Lucia Sanchez lu at gusilu.net
Mon Jun 6 22:04:19 EST 2005

Mary wrote:

> Another consideration is that the less you run, the less resources you
> need. If your firewall gateway runs only port blocking, port forwarding,
> NAT or routing, and DHCP, it's much easier to run it on lower end
> hardware. Some people really like the solid-state consumer routers just
> because they don't have noisy fans.

In my case the problem's the heat.  I have two computers in my room at
home (computer1: linux router + firewall + web server; computer2: mail
server + workstation + secure web server for testing and developing
purposes), and it already gets unbearably hot, so installing an
additional machine is not an option :(

My reasoning is that the weakest point is the stuff running on my
webserver (which is also the firewall machine), so I just do regular
backups of my blog's database; and if it's ever compromised I'll just
reinstall it and that's that.  And if that ever happens, _then_ I'll try
to find a more secure CMS for my blog.  Not very secure, I realize, but
considering I'm in the middle of exams it'll just have to do....

--
Lu.