[Techtalk] Different usage betweed df and du

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Wed Jul 13 23:40:46 EST 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:28:26PM +1000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Sue Stones thought:

> The "self tests" on the disc finished too, and its still reporting no
> errors. At least that suggests that the disc is not going to fail in the
> middle of my current (uni) project (due next week).

Um, you _do_ have the uni project backed up don't you?  If you're going to
be investigating a filesystem further, this would be a very good idea.
There is always the risk that a filesystem utility could damage data on
the filesystem (though they shouldn't...).  What type of filesystem is
this?  There have been reports of irretrievable corruption on reiserfs in
the past and many experienced admins just won't use it.

Conor (of the disproved theory <sniff!>)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)