[Techtalk] Different usage betweed df and du

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Wed Jul 13 22:47:00 EST 2005

Mary wrote:

>One thing you could check is how healthy the disk thinks it is:
>
>smartctl -a /dev/hda [replace /dev/hda with your disks name if
>necessary]

I didn't have smartctl but have installed it, and run it, and it gives
reaocated_sector_ct value as 100 and worst as 100 with "threash" at
20.   It has no errors logged.

At first I thought that the value was bad, but I have been reading up on
what it means, and this seems to be good.  (though I am not sure)  I was
wondering if the results were meaningless if smartctl was not already
installed.  But the impression I get is that the data is on the disc and
this is a utility to retrieve the data.  (Is that right?)

I am running the self tests now to see what that comes up with.

sue