[Techtalk] Mozilla v. Firefox

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Wed Jan 26 19:49:56 EST 2005

On 2005-01-25 21:18:38 -0800, Carla Schroder said:

> For example, if I had a sufficiently turbo-charged magic wand, I would
> instantly make all online financial transactions not be possible with IE.
> Mozilla, Firefox, Opera- nice cross-platform browsers. Lynx, Konqueror,
> Galeon and other specialty browsers. Is it really possible to support all of
> these, or does real life force you to specialize?

My internet bank, www.skandiabanken.no (probably only in Norwegian,
yes), officially supports IE 5.5 and 6 on different variations of Win
2k, XP, ME and 98, Netscape 7.1 and 7.2, Opera 7.53 and 7.54, Mozilla
1.6 and 1.7 and the relevant versions for OSX/Mac. Safari and Lynx are
not supported, although I think I have heard of people using a Lynx with
SSL and their text interface. Linux is not officially supported because
there are so many variations (and they haven't bothered to test any
specific distros), but I know Firefox 1.0, Opera 7.54 and Mozilla 1.6 on
Fedora, RedHat and Solaris 9 (not quite sure about client version here,
though) are working, and I haven't heard anyone with a rather new Linux
distro having problems.

So, in short, it is possible to support the whole bunch. On the other
hand this took a while, in the beginning (2001, I think) I could only use
Mozilla on Linux and only with Java turned off. But they listen to
feedback and seems to have smart developers, so after a while major bugs
were fixed.

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.