[Techtalk] Mozilla v. Firefox

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Wed Jan 26 18:28:59 EST 2005

At 1/25/05 09:18 PM , Carla Schroder wrote:

>Thanks Kai. Excuse me if I'm being dense, but I'm trying to make a comparison
>between developing apps for IE with other browsers.

Oh, oops! I think *I* was the one being dense. I misread your "would you
choose Mozilla or Firefox? Or something else?" as "Which would you choose:
Mozilla, or Firefox? Or would you decide against choosing either of those?"

>So another way of asking the question is how do you avoid getting
>locked-in to a particular platform? ... Can you really design complex Web
>applications to be browser-agnostic?

Oh, I understand now. My advice on this is, "Sure! Write to the standards."
And this is even, to some extent, possible. Okay, where JavaScript
(ECMAscript, etc.) is concerned, you essentially have to support two
platforms: MSIE, and everything else. But Google is proving that it *can*
be done, and interesting things can be done with it.

Of course, this is all really easy for me to say when I don't have an
actual list of requirements sitting in front of me... Is the question
purely hypothetical, or do you have a particular project in mind?

                                                 --Kai MacTane