[Techtalk] Mozilla v. Firefox

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Wed Jan 26 13:43:47 EST 2005

At 1/25/05 06:34 PM , Carla Schroder wrote:
>If you were tasked with selecting a cross-platform Web browser to standardize
>on for developing Web apps, would you choose Mozilla or Firefox? Or something
>else entirely?  Firefox is all fashionable now, but how do they compare for
>developers?

My first thought: Mozilla is likely to be a more "uniform" platform. Sure
people can install extensions on either one, but I get the impression that
it's more common in the Firefox world. Certainly there are more extensions
that work only on Firefox than there ones that only work on Mozilla.
(Though I *think* that over 50% of them will work on either browser.)

Of course, if your app isn't too complicated, and if it doesn't rely too
carefully on some nit-picky behavior of the underlying platform, then it'll
probably work just fine on both the fox and the lizard.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"In another life I see you, as an angel flying high,
  And the hands of time will free you; you will cast your chains aside,
  And the dawn will come and kiss away
  Every tear that's ever fallen from your eyes...
                                                 --Concrete Blonde,
                                                  "Caroline"