[Techtalk] Re: [prog] Threading in digest mode.

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Mon Jan 24 22:57:01 EST 2005

Mary wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2005, Kathryn Hogg wrote:
> Since GMail has 1GB of storage, and Svaksha says she prefers a threaded
> view, why not just not turn off the digest option and get one mail at a
> time. As I understand it, GMail is good at sorting things into folders
> and conversations, so receiving the lists one mail at a time shouldn't
> be a problem...

Yes, Gmail is good at threading mail, and it can move them into
directories as they come in.  Gmail refers to putting mail into
directories as archiving which is likely to be a bit off putting to
people at first because it sounds like it may be hard to get to.  They
don't make it clear that the mail can be just as easily accessed in
subdirectories as it can in the inbox.  It give the impression that once
mail is archived it can only be accessed by searching for it, meaning
one might miss new mail.  Svaksha may possibly not be aware of that ability

Using the mail client rather than threading in a digest has the
advantage of continuing threads over more than one day (or whatever the
interval of the digest is).

I wonder why Gmail has invented their own jargon, rather than use
established jargon.  It seems remarkably reminiscent of MS.

sue