[Techtalk] Resolving a doman name

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Fri Jan 21 12:54:28 EST 2005

Mary wrote:

> If it doesn't return the correct page, it might be that the DNS is OK,
> but there's an error in the virtual host configuration. Webservers
> sometimes need to be told "serve out files from THIS directory when
> asked for hostname1.example.com BUT server files out of THIS OTHER
> directory when asked for hostname2.example.com". If you ask for pages by
> IP address and there are several hosts sharing that IP
>
> Another possible test is to scpecifically ask 67.18.218.195 for your
> host's index.html

It turns out that the fact that it is a shared IP is probably the cause
of the error.  We set the domain name to point at the actual IP
67.18.218.194 and 67.18.218.195 instead of the name for those IPs.  It
would seem at this stage anyway that the problem was not with the
webserver but with us not knowing this information.

I believe that this was reset in the early hours of the morning,
hopefully it will soon be resolved.

sue