[Techtalk] Re: [prog] Threading in digest mode.

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Thu Jan 20 09:16:27 EST 2005

Raquel Rice said:
> Creating one large "digest file" and sending it "as is", with
> headers and footers attached, is more efficient than sorting the
> posts according to "thread", which is based upon MessageID.  Sorting
> by thread would mean reading the MessageID and sorting all the
> messages by that and then creating the digest, all at the time it
> was supposed to be sent out.

There are plenty of websites out there that manage list archives and they
may or may not have a mode where you can view them by thread.  There is no
reason that an email list can't behave similarly.

1. collect messages into a directory.
2. when its time to distribute the digest, sort the messages by specified
ordering rules
3. concatenate
4. send out digest

> At the current time, LinuxChix lists are using Mailman for their
> list server.  (IMHO one of the very best around)  I also use Mailman
> for my lists and haven't seen any ability to thread messages to a
> list.

The linuxchix archives at
http://www.linuxchix.org/content/docs/listinfo.html#archives

have threaded views. i.e
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/techtalk/2005-January/thread.html

If pipermail has a way to present daily archives that are threaded, you
could just read the emails via the web.

The other option is to not subscribe in digest mode, have procmail or
whatever, stuff your linuxchix messages into folder(s) and have your MTA
sort these messages by thread (thunderbird does this with one click).

--
Kathryn
http://womensfooty.com