[Techtalk] why is Active X in web pages evil, but not Perl/PHP/Javascript?

Linda illini.engineer at att.net
Thu Jan 20 05:07:22 EST 2005

   On 19 Jan 2005 at 11:27, Meredith L. Patterson wrote:

   > It does execute in the client's browser,

   > and there are indeed Javascript exploits. (One subtle difference:
   Javascript is

   > *compiled* on the server side, but the bytecode is *executed* on the
   client side.)

   actually I think you're getting confused Javascript confused with
   Java  :-)

   just bought my first Java book...

   Java is compiled to bytecode then that bytecode is interpreted by the
   Java Virtual Machine. In the case of webpages, the bytecode would have
   to be downloaded

   to the client