[Techtalk] clean the swap partition

aec brat at magma.ca
Tue Jan 18 02:36:50 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 03:19:54PM -0600, ed orphan wrote:
> Is there a way to clean out the swap partition
> without re-formatting it? I'm thinking of something
> like a disk wipe that can be set to just one
> partition and does not wander. Or is there
> a simple command line instruction that will
> do the job?

I have never done this, but you could probably
do swapoff then swapon?

swapon -s will show the current state of the partition

Someone more knowledgeable might want to pitch in here as
I am *guessing* that if your system is swapping out,
and you then simply wipe the swap, you could a) lose data
and b) lock up the system? Maybe do this in single user mode?

--
Angelina Carlton