[Techtalk] bash and inputrc

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Thu Jan 13 15:49:58 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:17:04 -0800, Akkana Peck wrote:

> I have it working now on the woody machine -- it turned out woody's
> readline needs the backslash before the key modifiers, which sarge's
> readline doesn't, so \C-w and not C-w -- but it still doesn't work
> on sid, and running bind -f .inputrc doesn't change anything.

I'm not a debian user, so I don't know the difference between woody,
sarge and sid.  The only debian machine I have access to is the one I
used to test this yesterday.  It has bash 2.05a.0(1)-release.

> I wondered whether maybe this was because some recent change is
> making it pickier about overwriting keys that are already bound,

It is.  See:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2004-08/msg00200.html

> This machine has both libreadline4 version 4.3-15 and
> libreadline5 5.0-7.  But ldd /bin/bash doesn't mention readline,

Bash includes its own readline.

> Any thoughts?  Is there any way to get bind to be more verbose about
> errors or problems?

Not without changing the source.

Cheers,

John

P.S. Just before I sent this message, I found:

        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2005-01/msg00166.html

    Is it from you?

--
You need to be sweet to such people. Honey. Anthill. Stakes. Ropes.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.