[Techtalk] Help desk/trouble ticket/knowledge base software?

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Thu Jan 13 10:17:54 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 03:27:23PM +0000, Conor Daly wrote:
> A colleague of mine tried out something called 'phpSupport' which is a
> straight LAMP solution.  It did have a few issues where we entered a
> specific string in the ticket title box and it seems to search only on the
> original description rather than on later comments.  The developer is on
> hand to troubleshoot on the forum though.  Can't think of the URL just now
> but if you can't find it, shout and I'll post a URL.

I took a look at the site and, unfortunately, phpSupport seems to be relatively
simple. It does the basics -- lets you assign and reassign tickets, set severity,
and has a history, but it doesn't do some other things that RT and OTRS do, such
as:

* Integrated knowledgebase.

* Canned response templates (particularly useful to cut down on sending the same
message over and over again).

* More sophisticated queues, groups, users.

* More sophisticated e-mail handling.

The knowledge base might not be a must-have, but the others, especially canned
roundup.sourceforge.net -- it doesn't have all the features, either, but it's
interesting and may be easily extensible.  It has before/after actions that can run
on modifications, mini-mailing lists (nosy lists) for each issue, is written in
Python, and can run with Zope (not sure how it relates to Zope exactly yet).  I
don't know if it stacks up to OTRS (which seems to be the most full-featured
package I've looked at so far), but I'm going to look at it a little closer.

Any other packages people have checked out?

Thanks!

Jen

----- End forwarded message -----