[Techtalk] filesystem options

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Tue Jan 11 04:43:45 EST 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Caitlyn Martin wrote:

> Hi, everyone,
>
> Peter isn't the only one who has had recent problems
> with resierfs.  Yes, the performance is good when it
> works.  Yes, it will eventually trash your filesystem.

Apparently i am very lucky then. Haven't had a reiserfs crash yet. And i
am running reiserfs (v3) on all of my servers. Only crashes have been when
HW went to never-never land.

On the other hand, i had a kernel crash some weeks ago, on a server that
runs reiserfs on most, and xfs on the big multimedia partition (1/2
terabyte). A crash that caused me to upgrade the kernel, after i found
that quit a number of xfs improvements had gone in since 2.6.7.
And yes, it was xfs that crashed the kernel, not reiserfs.

My mail server is also running reiserfs. Has been doing that for over 6
years now. No problems, except as stated above when HW died.

 >  I too had read that the problems were long
solved. > They aren't.

> I also agree with his recommendation for SGI's xfs
> filesystem, both for performance and reliability.

As usual, your mileage may vary. I've had more xfs related crashes than
reiserfs related, in spite of a way shorter usage....

> All the best,
> Caity

Cheers,

Rudy