[Techtalk] Re: see a Windows Xp desktop on linux?

nicole colby at wsu.edu
Sun Jan 9 15:44:28 EST 2005

The best way to get to an XP desktop is to enable Remote Desktop (which
must be first enabled in My Computer -> Properties -> Remote) and use
rdesktop - http://www.rdesktop.org

Essentially, this uses the MS terminal services protocol (originally from
Citrix :P). I use it to remotely manage XP/2000/2003 systems and to access
my work desktop from home.

This will not work if you use XP Home, though, as I don't think it has a
remote desktop feature (worth checking!). You could substitute "Remote
Assistance" as it just uses the Terminal Services protocol too, but I
haven't done this with rdesktop. Might make an interesting experiment :o)

-nicole