[Techtalk] Mounting USB devices

Marleen Garcia d.lineate at skynet.be
Wed Jan 5 00:15:45 EST 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 00:06, you wrote:

> Weird!  I'm not a mandrake user generally, so I don't know what
> would overwrite /etc/fstab (nothing does that on my debian box, to
> my knowledge!), but my guess is that it's one of the automatic
> hardware detection things built in to mandrake.

Checked out things under /etc/rc.d - Automatic hardware detection
<harddrake> sets into motion, and by doing (# less harddrake), I
find this commented out.

# We (mdk) don't support updfstab (yet)
#       action "Updating /etc/fstab" /usr/sbin/updfstab

> Are you sure it's /dev files that you want for USB devices?  I
> know when I mount my camera or mouse, they appear under
> /proc/bus/usb rather than under /dev.  They may be showing up,
> just not where you expect them!

Someone suggested to me privately to turn off automount (which is
supermount under Mandrake), which I did, and then I got all these
weird messages when booting, about it not being an fs filesystem.

I suppose these "things" ;) are meant to not be ever rebooted, and
then I certainly wouldn't have a problem... but then when running
Linux on a laptop that heats considerably... :(

Marleen

--
http://www.bluneon.org