[Techtalk] Mounting USB devices

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Jan 4 10:06:07 EST 2005

On Jan 2, 2005, at 12:08 PM, Marleen Garcia wrote:
> The only problem that's left now is, and the reason I'm posting is,
> by rebooting the machine, the /dev files I created disappear, the
> file /etc/fstab is overwritten, and I can start anew!
>
> How do I keep my /etc/fstab, and my /dev files?

Weird!  I'm not a mandrake user generally, so I don't know what would
overwrite /etc/fstab (nothing does that on my debian box, to my
knowledge!), but my guess is that it's one of the automatic hardware
detection things built in to mandrake.

Take a look at what's run during startup and see what looks likely.  On
debian, the list of things being run is in /etc/rcX.d (where X is the
appropriate runlevel, as configured in /etc/inittab... but your mileage
will almost certainly vary and it's possible I've mistaken my config
files anyhow.)

Are you sure it's /dev files that you want for USB devices?  I know
when I mount my camera or mouse, they appear under /proc/bus/usb rather
than under /dev.  They may be showing up, just not where you expect
them!

And finally, if you haven't already done so, you might want to make
yourself a startup script that runs harddrake2 and creates the
appropriate dev files.  It'll save you some annoyance if all you have
to do is type "mountusb.sh" and it does all that for you. :)  Doesn't
really solve the main problem, but temporary quick fixes can make life
so much more pleasant while you're figuring out the "real" solution.

  Terri